Tuesday, July 17, 2012

HOT! HOT! HOT!

HOT! HOT! HOT! seems to be the lament of the summer so far, I suspect primarily because we have seen so little rain, and this past weekend was no exception. Despite that we had plans to head to beautiful Niagara-on-the-Lake to soak up a little history and culture for a few days so off we went. Despite the heat the foliage in town was spectacular, as always, and the crowds were huge.

This year Canada is celebrating the bicentennial of the War of 1812 and Niagara-on-the-Lake had a significant role in shaping Canada as we know it today. Throughout the year they are hosting lots of special events and this past weekend that included tall ships, lots of military re-enactments and a spectacular performance in St James' Anglican Church by the Trinity College Cambridge choir from England. It was incredibly hot throughout our stay but that didn't really seem to bother anyone - they were so excited to be part of the festivities. For the life of me I don't know how the re-enactors did it - the men in particular - because much of what they were wearing was WOOL!!!

Watching the five or six fully manned tall ships sail across Lake Ontario and engage in a mock shore battle was incredibly impressive and something that we have not seen before, so we were tickled and I thought you might enjoy seeing a photo or two.







There were also battle re-enactments at Fort George...the British won :) . There's talk about going back mid October for the Battle of Queenston Heights, but we'll see.

After two days of running around in the heat we were looking for a bit of respite so we found our books and my quilting and put our feet up in the shade of a lovely gazebo at our B&B for a few hours in the early evening.








I've been plugging away at my pinwheels so I got a few more of those done, which was nice because I often drag my quilting along and it doesn't get touched. Many of my quilts have lots of miles on them before they are finished!








I think I now have about 30 made up so I'll  start stringing them together and adding to my borders. Jane thought that they were quite large when she saw the photos in a past post but they are only about 4" square.

Still really lovin' how bright and cheery they are...M

No comments: