Friday, February 03, 2017

I Can't Leave It Like This, Can I?

Well, I'm 30 blocks in have enough for a Disappearing Four Patch quilt but my anal, symmetrical self is struggling to say that it's all of the blocks that I need to make. This was a baby quilt that has morphed into a twin and if I make it much larger it will be a double. I want to quilt this one on my machine and if it gets much bigger (it's 50" x 60" right now) I think I'm in for a few challenges.










My issue is that it's not symmetrical - I feel that I should add another column to the right and another row along the bottom, but I really don't feel like making another 11 blocks.














After I took a pic of it I noticed that the smaller strips help create a 'border' around the entire thing, but I think that might just be a bit of rationalization on my part.













What do you think? Is this enough to start sewing together or should I bite the bullet and make the additional blocks? If I made more it would be from larger prints because I think they really shine in this block. I'm sure if I just started cutting they would be done before I know it, but I was so keen on having this one headed for the finish line now....M

13 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

only make it bigger I think if you can still feel comfortable quilting it. I think it looks good as is but I can see how you can tell yourself you should make it larger - but do you really need to?

marina said...

You have to do what you are going to be happy with.
Good luck winning the internal debate! Lol
I know I have those discussions with myself often.

Quilting Babcia said...

I think you should just listen to your heart. And who knows, if you make more blocks you have new options: one large quilt or two baby quilts! Either way, it works.

Pamela said...

I think it's fine as it is, but if it is going to bug you, you should probably make the extra blocks! I think it will make a wonderful lap quilt.

Robin said...

I love that yellow print. It's really a pretty floral quilt. I guess the size is determined by how you're going to use it.

Kate said...

I think it looks terrific!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I like it as is too. And it is so pretty.

Ariane said...

It's beautiful! I love the fabrics that you are using. I think you should do what you are comfortable with. If your worried about quilting a bigger quilt, then leave it as is. You don't want to have it end as a UFO. It's so beautiful now.

The Cozy Quilter said...

I totally understand the inner argument with myself about symmetry... this will be a beautiful quilt either way!

Louise SS said...

I can so relate to this.... My quilts always want to be larger! You could quilt it in two pieces, that is what I usually end up doing. Let it sit for a while no then do what feels best! Good luck! It is beautiful whatever size you make!

Maryse said...

It's lovely!!
In doubt, make it bigger, bigger is better!! :-) Well, not always but the thing is, will you be able to use it as it is? A quilt too small can be frustrating, sometimes it's worth the extra work.

Louise said...

I struggled with the same question when I made a D4P. I think it's the nature of the block! Yours is gorgeous, by the way :)

Kyle said...

I'm arriving late to your dilemma, but personally I like it as is, but like many have already said, if it's going to bug you better bite the bullet and make the extra blocks.and then keep the quilting simple so you can handle it yourself.