Sunday, September 01, 2013

Dazed and Confused

Vacuuming is a good thing, particularly this week when I decided it was time to do the floor in the sewing room (truth be known, I was shamed into it watching a little spider drag a huge dust ball across the floor...). Not only did it feel great to have it done, as I was finishing up I found the last mauve triangle that I needed for Candied Hexagons, so no need to piece one from scraps. I wasted no time in sewing it to the last block and then laying out the rows. I was on a roll. Until I looked back at the layout I'd drawn and figured out that the half hexies that I had made to fill in the sides were the wrong shape. Grrrrr.

What to do? Well, lots of reorienting blocks and reorienting again. Then trying to figure out if I wanted the stars in the hexies to look like this...

or like this...I decided on this.

But my edges are now all buggered up. That's a half hexie that I have sewn but it's not going to work.

So I took a deep breath, sat back, and started ripping out some of the mauve triangles along the edge that didn't work. It was looking better in no time.

In the new layout somehow I had an extra block, so I tossed one that I just didn't like into the orphan bin and switched up two others that weren't my faves with large floral prints - much better. Life is too short to use quilt blocks that you don't like.

I'll still need to figure out what the new edge will look like, but I have lots of time to think about. The main thing is that I'm now close to putting the blocks together.

This is what it looks like as you head downstairs to the sewing room and when I saw it in a photo I decided that in the end, I'm really happy with it. I just have to get over the fact that I can't read my own layouts and move on to plan B....M


Rachaeldaisy said...

I've seen someone else do that with pieced half hexagons, so you're not the only one. I love the colours you've used in your Candied Hexagons.

Grit said...

Looks so, so wonderful.