Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Day 2

Well, if this is to be my progress report we might as well get started with some photos; I'll start with a few recent finishes and then we'll get to the WIP (works in progress) ...long list!

Hexagons seem to be all the rage these days but they have long been a favourite of mine. I pieced two cushion covers by hand recently for my good friend Jane to enjoy at her cottage. As far as I'm concerned, the wider the fabric selection the better, so you can see that there are very few repeats.

Unfortunately, I don't have pics of the final product but you get the idea - both sides of each cushion were randomly placed hexagons. They are such a treat to do by hand that I think I might just need to do a full-sized quilt one of these days (just because there aren't enough on my wish list).

The Endless World II
The hexagons in my cushions were about 2 inches wide and a nice size to work but if you think that's small take a look at this beauty. If I'm not mistaken the pieces are roughly the size of a nickel - maybe a quarter. The Endless World II by Japanese quilter Noriko Kido was on exhibit in 2009 at the International Quilt Market and Festival in Houston, TX. Not necessarily a layout that I would make but you can't help but admire the workmanship and colour selection. 


Here's a closer look:

Check out Quilty Pleasures to see more quilts from the same exhibit. ...M