Back in early January an attempt to clean up my cutting table ended up as a good excuse to sit down and sew scrappy blocks together that are the beginnings of improv baskets á la Freddy Moran or Gwen Marston, bright and fun.
At least I think that they are. When I see them all together I see flower pots waiting for bright red improv geraniums rather than baskets, but that might change once I put handles on them. Or maybe the idea of the geraniums will take root.
It was fun to just keep digging into the pile of scraps and seeing what the end result would be. I worked quickly, forcing myself not to think too much because I don't do 'random' all that easily, and in no time I had a dozen baskets about 8" wide and anywhere from 6 - 10" tall.
Each one has its own personality, but I found it interesting that as I trimmed them I tended to angle the top edge up and to the right. Not sure what that says about me, if anything.
I tried very hard to keep it to just scraps but there were two or three cuts made into the stash to help round out the variety, but that was it.
You've seen this quilt before. It's a page from an old calendar and one that is never far away from my design wall.
My baskets are much larger and brighter and more scrappy than these but I do like the way they were put together and surrounded with hexies. I think a slightly different approach is in order but there is a nugget of something here that keeps pulling me back....M