Saturday, October 18, 2014

All I Want For Christmas...

What keeps you up at night? One of my work associates has long used this question to help clients set their priorities. For me lately it has been Fly Away Home. Would I have enough flying geese to lay them out on an angle instead of vertically? How much waste would there be? Could I bring myself to trim them off (I hate wasting fabric)? How big could I make it?











Well, I decided it was time to answer my questions. I started laying out geese on a 45 degree angle and used my rulers to help me visualize how much I'd be trimming away.














I only needed to lay out a few rows before I had my answer - on the diagonal they would be. I would make it as large as I could. And just to seal the deal I pulled out the backing fabric again. I have just under four metres and, after doing the math, calculate that it can be about 75" x 80", which was larger than I had imagined - bonus. We'll see how much the seam allowance 'shrink' it.









It's all laid out (and looks amazing!) and I have started sewing rows; like most things that I procrastinate on it wasn't worth the fretting. This will be for the living room and I'd like it done for Christmas so I wasted no time in calling Roberta to book it to be quilted. She can do it in early December, which will be perfect. I'm sleeping easier...M

5 comments:

Susan said...

At least I'm not the only one thinking about quilting dilemmas late at night! Can't wait to see this quilt, i think it will be stunning.

paulette said...

Ohhhh...I'm loving this! Can't wait to see the top!

Jean said...

This will be so pretty when finished!

Kyle said...

Your Christmas geese look fantastic and you have the perfect fabric for the backing. It's funny how we fret and then after working through it, it doesn't seem to be too bad. Lovely.

Robin said...

I love your fabric choices. It's going to be a lovely quilt.