Sunday, January 20, 2013

Things Are Looking Up

I've been planning how to quilt the Dresden Plate so that I could get it marked and off to the quilters but those spots were bothering me. I started marking a few blocks but then decided that I needed to give it another try because they are right in the centre of the quilt.

So I tried a solution that I'd seen on the web (what did we do before the internet?) - one part Dawn dishwashing liquid and 2 parts hydrogen peroxide, with a little baking soda tossed in for good measure.

I let it sit for 15- 20 minutes and then went back to see if I'd had any success, but it didn't look like much. So I worked the spots for a bit with a damp towel and decided to leave well enough alone and went back to marking while that area dried out. A little later curiosity got the better of me and, I'm happy to report, no more spots! Ya!

Quilts always have their own stories to tell and this one is no different. When I had it hanging over the ironing board I noticed that there were two slightly different versions of plates

one with 19 petals...

and one with 16. Makes me love it even more...M

2 comments:

Kate said...

Quilts have a story to tell, indeed, and I just bet those spots were part of the story. :) It's good news that you were able to remove the spots and nice to know what works. :)

Brandie said...

I have to agree with you about loving it more.
I'm going to try that spot remover. I have a few spots on my green quilt that I haven't been able to get out. If they were just yellow spot, I wouldn't care, but these look like thumb sized blood spots.