Tuesday, September 11, 2018

This Is A First

Over the years I have had the great good fortune to be able to share quilts made by my mother, family and friends. Today I have a new friend to add to that list. You've heard me mention my longarm quilter Roberta. Well, her little terrier Ivy has a new finish to share with you.












Called Due South, it is a pattern by Carrie Nelson of Miss Rosie's Quilt Company who also writes most of the posts for Moda's The Cutting Table blog. Rather timely, don't you think, given that any day now our geese will begin the long flight south for the winter?












Roberta's Due South quilt: QuiltBee
Apparently it will be her summer reading quilt and I think it is perfect for that. It reminds me of Fly Away Home which I made a few years ago but with stars added. Still love all of those geese on an angle.











Roberta's Due South quilt: QuiltBee


She used the gorgeous Nest fabric collection by Lella Boutique, which is new to me. Isn't that backing just adorable?

The quilt came together in about two months, which is apparently the quickest she has finished a quilt in a very long time. Little wonder, as she is so busy quilting for everyone else! 








Roberta's Due South quilt: QuiltBee
She made four geese at a time and then trimmed them to size. Once they were all finished it came together very quickly.  

Apparently there was some stewing for a bit over the outer border before she decided to just follow Carrie's lead, and she is very glad she did. It really lends to the feel of the quilt.









Roberta's Due South quilt: QuiltBee
Roberta has made many of Carrie's patterns over the years loves the talent she has for putting together complicated looking quilts with ease, as she is a great pattern writer.

It's all quilted and she was just finishing up the binding when I saw it. I hope I didn't drool on it when we were snapping pics because I just luuuv that floral print.








Ivy took it for a test drive and it seems to fit the bill. Spoiler alert: I've got another of Roberta's quilts to share with you the next time....M

1 comment:

Kyle said...

It's a beautiful interpretation of this pattern. I have made it too. It was fun to do and Carrie's pattern are always a pleasure to make. Thanks for sharing Roberta's quilt.