Friday, September 07, 2018

Pumpkin Seeds

Halloween wonky stars: QuiltBee
I've got a couple of pumpkin table toppers that I am making for the Holly Bazaar but no real pattern. But seeds of ideas have been percolating and I think I've now got a design that I'm going to like.

This topper that I saw on Cozy Little Quilts was the inspiration (its by Pattern Basket) but I wanted it a little edgier - maybe even a little wonky - so the pumpkins will have a few wonky stars scattered about and an improv crow will be perched on top (she says with confidence). The wonky stars I knew I could do; the crow, not so much.







Halloween wonky stars: QuiltBee
Actually, once I started making the little stars I didn't want to stop. My squares were cut to 2" so they are tiny and sweet, finishing at 1.5". I used the same three blacks for the star points and made the centre block on each of them from a different print. This would make a very cute Halloween quilt or throw...











Corners were added and then it was time to think about a leaf for the pumpkin.

After that it was a bit of a math session to figure out my crow. I used this tutorial as a starting point and then figured out my measurements...











improv crow: QuiltBeeSuccess - a crow is born! (Don't you love those little stripey legs?). Now to put it all together and figure out the border(s). The second topper should go together much faster....M






5 comments:

Chantal said...

It already looks beautiful. Can't wait to see all the pieces together. ;^)

Kyle said...

Looks like fun!

Pat said...

Love those oranges! This looks like a very fun project.

Kindred Quilts said...

I'm excited to see the finished toppers... I like the wonky stars, and that crow is just the cutest!

Sandi said...

Love the black wonky stars against the orange and your crow is cute. I may have to try and make something similar one day. I love fun Autumn/Halloween quilts. Looking forward to seeing the finished piece.