Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Pippi Longstocking Pumpkins

improv crow: QuiltBee
Remember Pippi Longstocking? She was the main character in a series of children's books by Swedish author Astrid Lindgren. When we were growing up she was also a star of children's television. Wildly independent and with red braids that wildly sat perpendicular to her head, she had a certain eccentric fashion 'flair'. I'd forgotten all about Pippi until Roberta commented on my Pippi Longstocking crows with their little striped legs and it made me laugh. She was SO right!









pumpkin table topper: QuiltBee
Happily, both crows are now complete and resting atop their patchwork pumpkin perches.















improv star: QuiltBeeI almost lost patience with the fiddling needed to make the crow and leaf work, but that's what happens when you make up the pattern as you go, isn't it? Still love those little stars.













pumpkin table topper: QuiltBeeI like to use a narrow border on small items like table toppers so I included a 1/4" green border.















That pumpkin print is pretty sweet, too.













pumpkin table topper: QuiltBee
One of these will be for the Holly Bazaar silent auction so I'm going to have Roberta quilt them for me as I'm not sure that my limited straight line quilting will do them justice....M

22 comments:

Quilting Babcia said...

These are so very cute! Kudos to you for mastering the crows and leaf.

Jane said...

I love these Marie, and you did a great job! I hope you wrote the pattern down in case I want to make one.

marebear said...

Absolutely adorable!

Needled Mom said...

That is super cute. Great job on it.

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Marie! This pumpkin wall hanging is just smashing. I love the crow, and am so glad you pointed out the striped legs. I sure would have missed that as well as the thin green border. The whole thing is just so pleasing to look at - I'm sure the auction winner will be happy and delighted at their luck for having the highest bid. ~smile~ Roseanne

Kathy S. said...

What a fun little quilt. Very nicely done!

chrisknits said...

How adorable! I am working on a paper pieced pumpkin project, but no cute crows on mine.

Mary Huey said...

Just too cute!!

Susan said...

I love this folkart looking pattern, and your very narrow green border. Thanks for sharing.

Glenda said...

Such a fun quilt Marie, and fab fabrics. and yes I do remember Pippy well LOL You just need to bend your crows legs LOL Cheers Glenda

Linda Schiffer said...

This little quilt is ADORABLE! :)

Linda

Kyle said...

Yes, I remember Pippi Longstockings. Your little crow is adorable with his little striped legs. It's a fun fall finish. Can't wait to see the quilting.

Rebecca Grace said...

Adorable! I love that little crow and leaf. They add so much, not only because they are so cute and so precise, but because they provide a scale reference and tell us that this is an enormous, gigantic pumpkin! And yes, I remember Pippi Longstocking fondly. :-)

Kate said...

I like. :)

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

That is a really sweet crow and pumpkin.

legato1958 said...

Such a fun and cute pumpkin and crow block!! Love your fabrics !!
Susie

Kim said...

I used to call my little girl, whose name is Pip, Pippy Longstocking. I loved reading the books to her. This is such a fun and delightful pumpkin table topper. The fabrics make me smile. Those black stars are fabulous...they make everything pop. Cute little crow, too.

Sandy said...

Your crow is perfect, Marie! And, those stars ... love it!

Susan said...

This is adorable - look for it as a feature tomorrow on Midweek Makers!

Lisa England said...

This is so cute! The crow sitting on top was worth the trouble!

Stitchin At Home said...

This is too cute! Love the crow it adds the perfect touch.

Linda Bick said...

This is adorable! Are you sharing the pattern? I’d love to make one for a fall pillow!