Sunday, September 24, 2017

Fall Blogger's Quilt Festival: Nantucket

Amy's Bloggers Quilt Festival sort of snuck up on me this time around and I almost decided not to participate, but then I noticed that I had a few hours left so I'm adding Nantucket to the other many great entries.















This one was a very spur of the moment project that I started in September of 2015 and it was finished and on the bed for us to enjoy by Christmas, joining my small pile of Christmas quilts. If you follow my blog at all, you will know just what a small miracle that timeline is for a quilt of mine. They tend to simmer quite a while as I flit from one project to another and eventually (often a few years later) a quilt is born.







Long before I knew the name of this quilt I had printed a tiny black and white version of it which had been kicking around my sewing room for a few years. Suddenly, it seemed, it was time to make it. I couldn't resist all of those little red and cream nine patches any longer.











I like my quilts large so there were more rounds of nine patches added than the pattern called for and I still think I could have added another round and not have had it too large.













It's backed with a whimsical red and cream toile,
















and Roberta at Cocoa and Quilts worked her magic on it, quilting it with this fabulous feathered swirl that has become an all-time favourite pattern.













It spends much of its time on the guest bed so that we can enjoy it whether it's Christmas or not. Be certain to check out all of the other Festival entries - there's always so much to enjoy....M

9 comments:

Northern Deb said...

Absolutely gorgeous!!

The Cozy Quilter said...

A beautiful red and white Christmas quilt

Kristin said...

Your quilt is simple elegance! I love it!! Good luck in the festival. =)

Quilting Babcia said...

So very elegant in its simplicity.

Kyle said...

I've always enjoyed that pattern and the red and white color scheme. It's on my list of someday.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Your quilt is a perfect marriage of parts combined to make a stunning quilt!!

Tu-Na Quilts said...

So pretty!! Red isn't just for Christmas anymore!

Ann said...

A beautiful combination of red-and-white with nine patches. They really make the center stars stand out. Congratulations on a great finish.

Nancy said...

I think this must be one of my all-time favorite quilts since I've begun reading quilting blogs. I remember reading posts when you were making it but I can't remember how large the stars are or the 9-patch blocks. Lucky guest who gets to sleep under this quilt!