Tuesday, May 09, 2017

Wanderlust

Maybe it was because I needed a change from hexies or maybe it was just my QADD (quilter's attention deficit disorder) kicking in. Actually, my trolling on Pinterest is probably partly to blame too. Whatever it was, I ended up playing with a new block.

It's called the Old Italian Block (isn't that just a lovely name?) and looked like it might be a good start for a charity quilt or table runner. If nothing else, it got me dreaming of far off Italy and enjoying a glass of wine in a café on the Amalfi Coast hillside, but I digress.







If you'd like to try to make a few yourself, here's a very quick tutorial that will give you a 6" finished block. Start with an 8" block,















make 4 diagonal cuts (the centre strips are 2" wide, cut 1" on either side of the diagonal lines that cut through the block),














switch out the four corner strip pieces with a dark print (or a light print, if you started with a dark 8" square), sew everything together,














and voila, a 6.5" inch block. Alternate light and dark blocks when laying it out.
















I've seen a quilt done in this pattern that really caught my eye but wanted to try it out before committing to making it. It would be lovely with all of the light pieces in this Jacobean print and a variety of tone-on-tone blues - very much like handmade tiles.











But I think that making it scrappy has lots of potential too. Either way, it was a nice escape..M


5 comments:

Julierose said...

Oooh these blocks are so gorgeous...this will be a lovely project--with all those blues...hugs, Julierose

Anonymous said...

Hi, Marie. I love the blue and white, and the block looks great. But how did you know how to cut the dark blue pieces?

Linda Jenkins

Kyle said...

The blue and white does look like tiles. Ah, the Amalfi coast....

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Very pretty, either way b&w or scrappy!

Glada said...

Marie,
Thank you so much for sharing this pattern. I was looking for a pattern to make for my son ( amiddle aged Italian) and this is perfect. I will post a picture when i get it finished. when i get it finished.