Friday, March 24, 2017

Red & White All Over

There's a flurry of red and white quilting going on for Canada's Big Quilt Bee these days, and not just by me.















I'm happy to say that I put the finishing touches on my little slab quilt and love both the backing and the binding.

I was all ready to bundle it up and ship it off when Anne decided that she might make a block or two.










Well, she made 12 blocks too, so this great little top will be added to the parcel.















She found some great Canada 150 fabrics for hers that are bright and playful and very patriotic.















Where were these when I was shopping???
















And, of course, you need to include a beaver! Some little tyke will love sleeping under this one.














Jane is dipping her toes into the water on this one as well, and in more ways than one. She's the Creative Director for Ottawa Magazine and recently created this wonderful fabric map of Canada to promote a young fabric designer, Almonte's Grace Noel, that she met at FiberFest last September. Isn't it great? 'With Glowing Hearts - Celebrating 150 Years' is inspired by a love for Canada with maple leaves scattered throughout and classic Canadian icons like hockey sticks and beavers. An interior decorating grad (just last year), for several years she has been successfully entering contests for aspiring designers on Spoonflower. She's also a Dragon's Den winner! But it doesn't end there. Trend-Tex has made her collection the foundation of its annual quilt challenge with the winning designs to be featured at Quilt Market in Houston in the fall. Wow.

So, long story short, Jane is making slab blocks for Canada's Big Quilt Bee too, using the leftovers from the map art. Unfortunately, I don't have any pics to share yet but will see if  can get her to share a few. I'm loving how this Big Bee is touching so many in my circle! Just a reminder that if you are making blocks/quilts for this they are due May 30....M

4 comments:

Kyle said...

What fabulous fabric designs to commemorate Canada's 150th anniversary. I especially love the little beaver!

Lisa J. said...

I love these beautiful bright reds.

Ariane said...

I love these beautiful quilts.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

All those reds are simply joyous. And what a wonderful story about the talented young Grace. Thanks for sharing.