Remember these improv trees that I was playing with in the fall after Jane and I experimented with them? Well, while she was off to the races and whipping up autumn wall hangings with hers I'm still trying to figure out how mine will come together. While I ponder the possibilities they enjoy the small design wall all to themselves.
All that I have resolved so far is that I want a winter forest feel and I want to include some wonky stars, maybe some subtle HSTs. I suspect that the background with be a scrappy collection of prints, but I don't want that to take away from the trees. And I don't think I want to add more trees, so this could be a small quilt but I'll lay it out on a larger design wall soon and see if that changes.
So, while I ponder, I play. I've been testing out wonky star options - teenie tiny fun! I made the first one with 2 1/2" blocks, which finish up at 6" but I think it's too large for all of them given the size of the trees...
so I changed to 1 1/2" blocks to end up with a 3" star and I like that much better. I think it still needs another size added to the mix so I'll try one or two with 2" blocks so there's lots of variety.
They are in yellows and golds and creams with a little blue, aqua and pink tossed in.
One of the lamps in the sewing room is on the fritz so it's darker in one corner than usual, which means that I've been trying to get a read as to whether they are a good fit in really poor lighting. Today I brought the board upstairs into better light and I think that the next couple of stars also need to be a little stronger. So, I inch along with this one. I guess the next step is to try to figure out the background....M