Thursday, February 19, 2015

Winter White

My niece Julia recently moved into her first home (such a sweet place!) so mom Betty has been busy helping make it a cozy little nest. Years ago I had made a duvet cover for Julia that looked like a quilt so the hunt was on for a pattern that could be used for a new duvet cover.

Julia liked the feel of a quilt but wanted something quite simple and sophisticated. She also wanted a very subtle colour palette and nothing that was too 'girly'.








They pulled together a collection of subtle greys and creams, including grey linen. Keeping the need for clean and simple lines in mind, Betty used the Moda Love pattern - a great, oversized quilt block that nicely shows off the fabrics. Love the scale. This pattern has lots and lots of possibilities.

It won't be quilted - it will stay as it was finished. I'm thinking of making a duvet cover for our bed but I think I'd quilt it - not sure. It looks great as it is.







It was backed with this pretty blue/grey floral that I've had on the shelf for a while - absolutely love it. The huge floral is a beautiful complement to the subtle prints without making it too feminine or frilly.














Such a beautiful housewarming gift and something that they will treasure for many years, I'm sure.....M

4 comments:

Susan said...

What a great finish. I have made a quilt top into a doona cover before, it works really well.

audrey said...

Beautiful! I love the subtle colors with that floral backing.:) My sisters and I made our parents a patchwork pieced duvet color years ago. It's actually very fun to do. Something that helps keeps the duvet color from slipping is if you sew a bit of sturdy string to each corner of the duvet and attach it somehow in the inside corner of the duvet cover.

joy said...

I was so impressed with the recipe that you've shared and i want to see more of your recipes .Please keep posting. You can also visit my site. Thank you.

n8fan.net

www.n8fan.net

Leslie Lim said...

You really have an awesome blog. You doing great and I really love it. Thanks for posting. God bless.

Zean
www.imarksweb.org