Saturday, May 04, 2013

Memory Lane


Linda asked an innocent question a few days ago and it's got me all excited about returning to a project that I worked on with mom around 2001, another lifetime ago. Did I have the pattern for Danuta's Garden? We made it for Anne's friend Danuta with a wonderful selection of florals on a yellow with lots of teenie tiny squares in the sashing. Jane also made a lovely green version of it.

I knew that I had fabrics set aside to do one for me using many of the leftovers because I came across them a little while ago while sorting through the sewing room; all I had to do was see if I could find the pattern that I had drafted. First to the fabric stash where I found not only the leftovers, but this baggie full of tiny squares ... some already assembled into 4-patches...



and a photo of the pattern. What luck! I knew the basic elements in it but was having a tough time remembering the layout.

Interestingly, it's really a Civil War quilt pattern. The  photo I have to work from is about 4 inches square, which is typical of me. I seem to find these postage stamp sized images and then want to recreate the pattern.

I guess we could have ordered it from Australia at the time but we were anxious to get started so I draft it - on a piece of cardboard from a box, for some reason. But that turned out to be a blessing, because I knew exactly what to look for in my files.












So I've copied it, including my hen-scratched instructions, and sent it off to Linda.
















But that got me thinking. I have that lovely little baggie of squares all set to go...

and the stack of fabrics that have been patiently sitting together for 12 (!) years...

Maybe I should start my version?











I'd need to find the background fabric, but this soft yellow polka dot might work....

Do your fingers get itchy at the thought of starting something new?...M

2 comments:

Josie said...

Yes... yes... YES!! For goodness sakes start that project! Just looking at that pattern has my fingers itching. You actually have the fabric ready to go... just do it! You know you want to. OH... I'd like to watch you do it too. :o)

antique quilter said...

oh my i LOVE this quilt too, you need to make it and of course now I want to make it too!!!!
Kathie