Wednesday, November 09, 2011

The Holly Bazaar

Every year in early November our church hosts their annual Holly Bazaar (don't you just love the name?) so I try and sew up something for their silent auction and sometimes for the craft table; this is affectionately known in our household as 'sewing for Anglicans'. I decided it was time to use up a Christmas fabric that has been in my stash for longer than I care to remember and make a table runner using a random half square triangle pattern.

I played around with the block placement until I liked it. Originally I thought that I'd go 4 blocks wide but opted to drop it back to 3 and make it longer, and I'm glad that I did.

The fabric has lots of great colours in it so I was able to incorporate browns and turquoise for a non-traditional twist on a pretty traditional fabric. And, because the diagonal quilting on the baby quilt turned out so well I opted to quilt it like that as well.
I also whipped up several tissue cozies for the craft table from a tutorial I found at Don't Look Now; they'll make great stocking stuffers.
I made 9 of these little guys in total. They're cute but stuffing the tissues in at the end is a bit of a test.


And, because it's the Holly Bazaar it marks the unofficial start to my Christmas baking season - my favourite! Bundles of Martha Stewart's Banana Walnut Chocolate Chunk cookies are all wrapped up and ready for the bake table...

...and some yummy mini Apple Pecan Bundt cakes...


I also tried a new Trish Magwood recipe for Butter Tart Squares but the jury is still out on those. The crust seems really thick for the size of the pan and the topping seemed pretty thick as well. I'm wondering if there was an error in the pan size indicated in the recipe, but they are baked. They are supposed to sit overnight in the fridge before cutting, so tomorrow morning we'll see if they are good enough to send off to the bake table. I just have this sinking feeling that they are going to be too thick and the topping too runny. Note to self: don't try untested recipes for the Bake Table.

...M